We're going back and forth about the poles. I was voting to take them down, but then we thought they could be used for stringing lights up. Maybe they should stay. You can see photos of the pole project at http://gardening.livejournal.com/353985
Before the shade came down. The poles in the pot worked well enough and I think once the patio is set we can pour a more stable anchor for them.
We have about 80 lbs. of worm castings in those white bags under the stand. We've made some great connections at the Farmers Market and are trading with them for plants and such. It's great to come home every other weekend with a couple of plants. They also make our both look more inviting!
The mini-bog, as seen in August. This is was what it looked like at the beginning of July http://www.flickr.com/photos/le_chat_no
We were cleaning out the millstone pond pump and I noticed that most of the venus flytraps are happily munching on some food. I'm trying to figure out what this one is eating, I think it may be a grass hopper, but the antennae gives it an awesome profile!
Most of these were taken in June.
An external filter we installed:
Castor Bean Plant:
Colocasia Esculenta 'Mojito' :
Mosses and Ferns:
One of the beds with a fungus that we tried to control but we lost a few plants, including the Japanese Maple. It lost all of it's leaves in about a week and we transplanted it to a pot. It still looks awful but we're holding out hope. The vegetable garden did... ok. At the time of building the box and planting, that section of the yard go a lot of sun but as we moved into summer it got less. We need to rethink this for next year.
We had the opportunity to get a lot of pots very cheaply and now my husband can delve back into one of his great passions. He's had the Mugo Pine and Dwarf Juniper for about a year now. They're both in some of the new pots.
We have several more that we need to photograph.
Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy!